Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley

The Promised Post for Monday has been shifted until a later date. It just didn't seem right to post it. President Gordon B. Hinckley has passed away and this world has lost one of the greatest men to ever walk upon it. I remember the first time I ever saw President Hinckley in person. I was a freshman at BYU and he came for a Tuesday devotional. The Marriot Center was packed hours before he was scheduled to arrive. About a half hour before the devotional was about to begin, the administrators decided to have the audience sing hymns to pass the time and get everyone in the proper mood for the program. After some time, we were in the middle of singing a hymn (How Great Thou Art, if I remember correctly) when suddenly I felt a change in the room. It was as if someone had just turned on a light switch. I knew at that moment, before I could see him, before anyone else had even realized he was there, that a Prophet of God had entered my presence. The Holy Ghost testified to me at that moment who President Hinckley was. From that time forward I knew that there was a Prophet of God on this earth and I have never doubted it since.

I had the opportunity to be present at other times when the Prophet spoke, and every time I received the same feeling and was given the same witness. There are, no doubt, thousands of tributes that will be given of this great man, and though I doubt many people will ever read this, I wish to offer my tribute as well. I know that Gordon B. Hinckley was a prophet of God, divinely called to lead His church in this day and age. I will miss his example, his humor, but most of all, his testimony that God lives and that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. May President Hinckley rest in peace; he has certainly earned it. He will be sorely missed.

4 comments:

Peter FNFN said...

Thanks for your tribute as well... I remember seeing him for the first time in person as well... I was in Hawaii at a regional conference and the entire arena stood as he and his wife entered. as he stepped up to speak later in the conference, they raised the pulpit for him. He then made a joke about how usually when he gets up to speak they have to lower the pulpit... and he said that's why he loves speaking after his wife! haha

p.s. i think it's funny that you noticed that most likely bc you've changed yours recently... i'm still searching for a new phrase their... just trying new ones out

smithfieldman said...

I am pretty sure that he isn't resting in peace but is working hard in heaven. At least now he is with his wife.

stewedslacker said...

Great guy, never saw him in person and I am a shmuck for it.

Sarah said...

Beautiful. Thank you.