Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

It's that time of year again everyone. I've decided rather than just half-heartedly scribbling my resolutions and forgetting about them a week later, I'm posting them on the Internets for all to see. I challenge everyone to do the same. You have to come up with at least 7-10.


1) Read the Doctrine and Covenants again.


The D & C is sadly ignored by the rising generation in the Church. There's a lot in there and I've forgotten most of it. Time to go back and re-learn.

2) Attend the temple at least monthly


Law School has killed my temple attendance. It's embarrassing to admit, but I let it get away from me, especially during finals. Sure, the Las Vegas temple is the world's most inconveniently located temple in the world, but I'm not going to let that keep me from going.


3) Read the Book of Mormon at least Twice.


I haven't missed a day of reading the BoM in years, but once you get something down, it's time to get better at it. I'm going to try to get in even more reading this year.


4) Read the Lectures on Faith.


I've never read them because I'm a slacker. Time to repent.


5) Read my Joseph Smith Lesson BEFORE priesthood meeting on Sunday.


I know that no YSA has ever read the lesson beforehand in the history of the church, but I also know God rewards preparation and I think this would be a good way to get more out of my church meetings.


5) Get Married.


Full disclosure, I'm putting this one in mostly because the Bishop would tell me to if he knew of this Blog's existence. Though I do intend to date a little more this year. My apologies in advance to women everywhere. This resolution does not apply during finals.


6) Learn another Clapton Solo


I'm planning on the solo from his version of Don't Think Twice It's Allright. If you've never seen it, here it is.




I'm thinking that should keep me busy for at least a year. By the way, I love how every time people start talking about how Clapton has lost it, he goes out and does something like this.


7) Eliminate any non-school oriented debt.


Again, needs no explanation. However, this one goes into effect right after I by my Ipod Nano.


8) Keep a journal.


I used to be good at this, Alas, another casualty of Law School living.


9) Lose five pounds of fat, gain 10 pounds of muscle.

Generally I tend to fluctuate throughout the year depending on what I'm doing, but as of this morning I'm at 155 lbs, and I've creeped all the way up to 9% body fat. The weight isn't bad, but the fat is not good. Plus, I've been thinking of putting on muscle so I don't look like a pansy. All this goes out the window though if I decide to do a marathon, in which case, the goal becomes get as scrawny as possible and try and inch myself back to my svelt racing weight of 145.


10) Find something to replace my potato chip addiction.


I love potato chips, and given the chance I can eat them by the bag. But that's tremendously unhealthy. I'm going to start eating healthier in 2008. I'm not jsut looking to junk potato chips, I'm going to try to ditch junk food in general. If only I could find something healthy that was as tasty and filling as junk food. Just writing this makes me want to go grab another piece of Mom's banana cream pie. I welcome any suggestions for Potato chip replacements.

11) Get involved in a worthwhile community service.

I'm thinking it's time to get involved with service in the legal community. I had mixed feelings about being voluntold to teach that paternity class last semester. I'm looking around for a good way to get involved in a little more meaningful way, hopefully in a lawyer-like capacity.

12) This summer= 35 miles a week.

I don't know how I'm going to do it, but it's happening. This summer I am a running machine. I haven't decided whether to run a marathon or not, but just in case...I'm going to be ready. In the Meantime, I'm going to work back up to my pre-finals level of 30 miles a week.


P.S. It would be pretty cool to get a large group together to do the St. George Marathon this year. I'm not commiting to doing it, but it is floating around in the back of my mind.

4 comments:

stewedslacker said...

Hmmm... Resolutions. To replace junkfood. Sunchips? Trailmix? Tough stuff. And I cannot believe you are tryign to con me into running a marathon when you yourself are lukewarm. I must say that if 30 minutes of nothing more than swift jogging makes me feel like I can't go on, what would a marathon do?

slipperyjim said...

Wow - looks like you will turn into a spiritual giant this year.... I'm being fully supportive of your resolutions, and I strongly suggest Lectures on Faith - an awesome read. In fact, I want to go re-read right now....

smithfieldman said...

I didn't make any resolutions this year. I hardly ever do. Why bother?

politicchic6 said...

I divided my resolutions into four categories. Wisdom, Stature, Favor of God, and Favor of Men. I think we'll recall who increased in these four areas in a little book I like to call Luke. At any rate, in the stature portion there is a half marathon and some ten ks. I'd go into the rest, but I am pretty sure no one is interested.