Sunday, October 07, 2007

Marriage and age

Surprisingly, A number of prominent member of the church were not married by the age of twenty-five. This stands in conflict with the view many people have expressed to me that those who aren't married by the age of 25 are abject failures in life and are little better than rejects from the war in heaven. Here's a few well known "menaces to society"

President Gordon B. Hinckley- Married two months before his 27th birthday

Ezra Taft Benson- Age 27

Hugh B. Brown- 25

David O. McKay- 27

L. Tom Perry- Married one month before he turned 25.

Henry B. Eyring- Married at the ripe old age of 29!


Hmmmm...Maybe we should stop treating YSA's over the age of 25 like pariahs and breathing down their necks to get married. What do you think?

8 comments:

Nickolai said...

I second that.

smithfieldman said...

I heard that Adam was getting hitched.

politicchic6 said...

No, I think we all should get married by or before the age of consent. And in Utah that is 14. Nice.

choppanator said...

we all know why THOSE guys didn't get married till they were a little bit older... because there simply weren't any women available who were spiritual enough for them. i think that is probably not the same case for the rest of the single adults...

Peter FNFN said...

they're also all pretty well-off, many have PhD's, and they're extremely righteous, and can even carry flattering military resumes. So unless a person fits all those criteria... then they must follow the general counsel (young as possible!)

Unknown said...

Bishop Snow, did you steal my friend Peter's net-id? Cause it sounds like you.

I told you before Bishop, I'm not delaying mariage, I'm taking my time and being judicious in my selection. If you wanted to speed things up, you could tell [name omitted] to respond in words of more than one syllable when I try and strike up a conversation with her.

The Doctor said...

You forgot Hyrum Smith, age 26

Unknown said...

Way to represent, Little Danny. Hope your knee is not too broken.