Thursday, November 15, 2007

The final running diary.

1:43:17 PM- Class is starting late today because we filled out evaluations. Most evaluations take 5 minutes. This one took 15. People had prepared notes and were giggling as they filled out the form. I’ve never seen this on a teacher’s evaluation.

1:46:21 PM- In case you were wondering, most of the rough draft review I posted on the 6th of November made it onto the review I turned in.

1:47:00 PM- This is our last class, so there will probably be no more running diary for the rest of the year. I’ll still be posting, with the exception of the first two weeks in December when I’ll be too occupied with finals to post.

1:49:35 PM- Today’s class topic: Hate Speech. I’m guessing we’ll be hearing strong language yet again, even though Prof has been asked to please tone down the language.

1:50:35 PM- Prof is looking a little rattled. Maybe it’s because it’s never a good sign when your students take 20 minutes to fill out your performance review.

1:51:44 PM- It’s possible that the Prof may try and actually teach today, in a last ditch effort to make up for an entire semester spent on political proselyting rather than legal instruction.

1:53:33 PM- Class has taken a turn for the boring so I thought I’d take a second and talk about the democratic debate that is taking place on campus today. On the plus side I’ve gotten two free shirts out of the debates, so I’m pretty cool with it so far. On the minus side, traffic around campus has been a nightmare, campus has been crawling with hippies, and the thought of being in close proximity to someone as clearly insane as Dennis Kucinich and his supporters makes me lose sleep. I tried to get a ticket to the event but was unsuccessful, so I’m going to go try and gate crash the debate later. I’ll probably blog about the event later. I’m also going to try and get interviewed by CNN. Caleb told me earlier that I might have a shot of getting interviewed because my bushy and disheveled hair makes me look like a pothead. Really, my hair is not that long, and not that disheveled.

2:00:22 PM- A girl in the front row that the prof. hates keeps raising her hand…and keeps getting ignored. Ironically, this comes during the part of the lecture in which the Professor is talking about how it is wrong for the government to silence ideas it doesn’t agree with.

2:04:35 PM- Wow, we might make it through class without anyone getting called on.

2:05:15 PM- Prof. is talking really fast. You’d think the Nazi party was going to break down the door any minute and cart everyone off to concentration camps.

2:08:16 PM- Class is now talking about those cars that run around during elections blaring music attempting to convince you to vote for a candidate who will almost certainly embezzle public funds to pay for high quality cocaine and hookers. I’ve never seen them hear in the states, but they are all over Brazil. I’m not going to lie, I miss them. They had some kicking tunes. Far better than anything MTV is playing these days. I’ll go so far as to say they were better tunes than anything Pete Townshend came up with after he quit using drugs.

2:11:05 PM- The only student to have spoken so far is hippie liberal girl. She basically just agreed with the professor. No offense girl, but I hear enough liberal nonsense in this class, I don’t need it in surround sound.

2:11:21 PM- Scratch that, another student forced his way in by wisely not waiting to be called on to speak. Well played kid in the front row.

2:15:22 PM- We’re now talking about whether the people passing out fliers for hookers out on the strip can be stopped under the first amendment. There’s no way that law would get passed with Democratic Presidential Candidates in town. They may look serious on TV, but the minute they hit the strip they are going to let loose and you know it. I only wish Vegas would take bets on which candidate gets caught with a hooker after the debate tonight. Seriously, wouldn’t you have Dodd paying off at 2:1? Biden at 3:1, and Clinton at a 5:7? Is there any reason why this hasn’t happened? I fully expect to see a video clip of at least one of the candidates reenacting the orgy seen from Zoolander, complete with midget Vikings up on youtube by this time tomorrow.

2:20:48 PM- For the first time this semester the Prof. asks if there are any questions or if we need clarification on anything. Oh yeah, she’s panicking about those reviews. Why are you trying to make up for it now? They’re turned in and we aren’t taking anything back. If they give you tenure after those reviews, they may as well give the finger to each and every student at the law school.

2:27:27 PM- Wow, the only thing more excruciatingly boring than this class normally, is this class when the Prof. is trying to teach and thus make up for a semester spent thumbing her arrogant bigoted nose at all of us. Why try now? Go for the perfect losing season. That’s like the Miami Dolphins actually trying to win a game this year. Don’t do it Dolphins. Don’t put Beck in on Sunday. Don’t you dare try and show up and actually play with heart and purpose, you will crush my hopes and dreams.

2:34:41 PM- I had such high hopes that something absolutely crazy would happen today in class, but no luck so far.

2:37:42 PM- This is so freaking boring. I feel like I’m trapped in an episode of the Office where Michael Scott gets replaced by someone competent.

2:38:59 PM- Still hardly anyone has been called on. This class has been a straight up lecture. It’s official ladies and gentlemen, the Socratic method is dead. Funeral services will be held on December 8. Please wear black and be prepared to share a treasured memory.

2:42:36 PM- I’m this close to actually learning something. It’s like my whole world is coming crashing down. This is like finding out the Tooth Fairy runs drugs or the Easter Bunny molests children. It is just destroying everything I thought I could count on. What’s next? A beloved sports hero murdering his wife and a local waiter? Oh, wait…

2:49:35 PM- Now we’re talking about the Hare Krishna’s in the airport. I fell this is a good time to mention that George was by far the most talented Beatle and his solo stuff was better than anything Paul or John ever came up with in their solo careers. Paul, I’m still waiting for you to apologize for Wings. You know where to find me. I’m not calling you “Sir Paul” until you do.

2:52:34 PM- And we get our last “Are you with me?” of the semester. This must be how it felt when Stalin shot a dissenter for the last time.

2:54:09 PM- One more minute of class.

2:55:02 PM- And we are officially overtime.

2:55:42 PM- And we made it. It’s over!

2 comments:

Chillygator said...

I'm going to miss this class so, so much in a twisted, train wreck sort of way.

smithfieldman said...

Glad you made it through class. I only hope you have a crazy class like this next semester cause it makes for some good reading.