Thursday, July 26, 2007

Harry 7 revisted

Okay, several months ago I wrote my predictions on Harry Potter 7, and I thought that I'd go through and see how close I was. By the way, as far as my thoughts on the book, I absolutely loved it, I'm trying to decide if it is my favorite of the series or not. I have a hard time choosing. Anyway, here are my predictions and my commentary on how accurate they were.

Warning: Here be major spoilers.

Q: Deathly Hallows? WTF?
A: Has to do with the ministry of magic, that's all I'll say.

Uh.... I was kind of right. Okay, not really.

Q: Does Harry die?
A: Sort of.

This one I totally called. Death and resurrection are necessary components for this type of story. Saw the whole mostly dead thing coming from a mile away. That said, the King's Cross chapter is probably my favorite of the entire series as Harry finally got to have the heart to heart that he'd been longing for since the beginning of the story with the only real Father Figure he'd ever had. Plus, the line at the end of the chapter about it being in his head, probably one of the best things ever written.

Q: Is he alive at the end?
A: Yes.

Booyakasha! Can I call them or what. Seriously, did you ever think he would die? What kind of message would that send to children. Far more powerful was the fact that he was willing to die for his friends, and the underlying message that there are things worse than death, and that some things are worth dying for.

Q: Does You-know-who die?
A: Yeah

Well, it was either Harry or Voldemort, who would you have bet on?

Q: Does Harry kill him?

A: No.

True, Big V's own spell killed him.

Q: Ron and Hermione?

A: Still kicking.

Q: Ron and Hemione, do they, you know?
A: Married.

Right on both counts

Q: Harry and Ginny?
A: Also Married. BTW, Ginny turns out to be very important.

Very important, she marries Harry.

Q: Does Harry go back to Hogwarts?
A: Yes.

I didn't say as a student.

Q: Do we get to meet Aberforth Dumbledore?
A: Let's just say that Aberforth, like most people nicknamed Abby, defines the phrase "Bad Mother (expletive)."

Okay, not so much. But he came through in the end.

Q: Does Neville die?

A: Yep, sorry Neville, we hardly knew thee.

Okay, I was wrong. Darn you, Neville. I'd rather have Fred than you.

Q: Does Snape die?
A: Yes

Who called it?

Q: Did Dumbledore order Snape to kill him?
A: Affirmative.

I am clairvoyant.

Q: Did Dumbledore make the right decision trusting Snape?

A: Dumbledore is rarely wrong.

Never doubt Albus

Q: Lupin, does he die?
A: Yes.

I really wanted him to live, and once he had a kid I thought he'd make it, but this guess was right.

Q: Wormtail?
A: Mucho Dead.

You knew that raitor was going to get it.

Q: What happens to Draco Malfoy?

A: Draco's actions will surprise you. Turns out he may have been worth saving. He's left alive at the end.

Once again, I'm brilliant.

Q: Was the ending good? Anti-climactic? More disappointing than a Lemony Snickett novel?

A: Deeply satisfying. All sugar bowls are fully explained, so to speak.

I maintain that this was the best ending to a series since Return of the King.

Q: What is the seventh Horcrux?
A: Don't you mean who?

Q: Was it Harry?
A: Nope, someone who has already died.

Half right. I didn't know you could unintentionally create a horcrux. Forgiveness please.

So, not too bad, mostly right. Thanks again for a great series, J.K. Rowling, I look forward to whatever you do next.

3 comments:

slipperyjim said...

Unbelievable job - no really, stunning. Have to admit that I haven't read the book yet, but spoilers don't really affect my reading experience. New question - will kids still read Harry Potter in ten years from now? Visit by blog to respond.

smithfieldman said...

Ok so I finally finished the book and it seems like you and JK were in cahoots writing the seventh chapter. I also loved the Kings cross chapter and the ending line.
I am glad that Neville didn't die and he got to kill that idiot snake Nagini.
Who knows if kids will be reading in 10 years from now? There will probably be a different distraction that will cause midnight parties and such.
Now, did someone say a Ron spin-off?

politicchic6 said...

I am in the process of penning my very own Rose/Scorpius (PS whose parents were clearly very drunk and belligerent when they named him?) fanfic. It will be classiness in literary format.