Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Grammys and the Dixie Chicks

1) Why do people think the Grammys are important? Isn't that the same group of people who gave Milli Vanilli an award? How are they seen as having any kind of legitimacy? Do people really think the Dixie Chicks are better than Corrine Bailey Rae? On what planet is that true? That's like saying Saw III is better than the Godfather. Unforgivable.

2) While we're on the subject, I don't really care about the politics of the Dixie Chicks, but I thought their speech about how winning a grammy somehow proved all of their detractors wrong was just ridiculous. How does winning an award voted on by a small, exclusive group of out of touch elitists prove that the millions of people who didn't buy your records or go to your concerts were wrong? That's like George Bush receiving a "world's best boss" mug from his secretaries and saying that proves he was right about the Iraq war.

3) Sorry to harp on the Dixie Chicks so much, but it has to be said. Their version of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" was the musical equivalent of a Kathy Bates nude scene. Totally unnecessary and destined to scar you for life.

4) Lastly, the fact that the Dixie Chicks have a Grammy and the Shins don't, well, that just proves your award is crap.

4 comments:

smithfieldman said...

I never thought the Grammys were important. I thought you had become a bum and were living off the streets somewhere in California.

choppanator said...

Who are the Shins?? Anyways, I have to agree that winning a Grammy proves absolutely nothing about musical talent, or music that is even good. Now, what about Mitt for president...

Kara said...

Here, here. Thanks for speaking my mind for me.

My good friend Caleb pointed me in your direction for a bit of entertainment/enlightenment during my workday. ~Although, if I were a true friend I would have introduced him to the Shins already.

W Smith said...

Caleb. Seriously, you have once again surprised me with your lack of musical awareness. Who are the Shins? That’s like asking who is Ronald McDonald? (I was going to say Jesus here…and then I was going to say George W. Bush…but as Morgan Spurlock taught us—no one knows who they are…and since you didn’t know who The Shins were I didn’t want to take any chances)