Saturday, July 05, 2008

Heat Wave

Some weeks it just don't pay to get out of bed. My car got smashed up by a lady who ran a red light, I missed my wednesday run, Las Vegas is in a heat wave, and I still work too much for too little. On those weeks where your life sounds like a country music song there's only one thing to do.


That's right, you gotta run 16 miles in the 100 degree weather. It's the only way you will ever feel better.

For those wondering what I did for the 4th of July, I celebrated my patriotism by stimulating the economy. I bought new running shoes. The soreness in my hips Thursday told me that it was time. Of course, it might have also had something to do with having been rammed by an SUV the day before, but this is besides the point. The point is, I hopped over to the Nike outlet and dropped 60 bones on a new pair of trusty Air Max Moto's, the only consistently good running shoe Nike makes for the neutral runner. (Confession, I'm only half neutral. One foot pronates, the other supinates. I figure that these things cancel each other out and make me a neutral runner). I love having the Nike outlet in town. It lets me get all my running necessities at a hefty discount. These shoes retail for $90 so they were a steal.

So I've decided to get myself in shape for a triathlon. I figure since no one out there wants to date me, I'll channel my free time and energy into that. I figure my running gives me a good level of base fitness, I just need to ditch the weights and start swimming. I'm a terrible swimmer, and I think the lifeguards don't know whether to laugh or cry when I'm in the pool. I've been trying to get some swimming in but lap swimming is painfully boring and unlike running where you can kick it with an ipod to distract you from the monotony, in swimming the only distraction is gasping for breath periodically. The bike will probably be the hardest part and I have no idea what I'm going to do for that. 112 miles! I figure I'll set a goal to be iron man ready a year or so from now. If I do the 2009 silverman, I can do an ironman triathlon before I'm thirty and my body starts to fall apart.

BANKRUPTCY BLAWG!

A quick word on things financial. I have a theory that many people who end up in bankruptcy do so because they are unwilling to accept reality or in many cases admit failure. There's nothing wrong with unwillingness to accept reality. I refuse to accept reality all the time, mostly because reality, generally speaking, sucks. I also refuse to admit failure long after failure has become apparent, just ask anyone who has ever been out on a third date with me. However, refusing to look at your financial situation honestly can get you into real trouble. There is NEVER, ever, a good reason to borrow money on your house, or on your 401K. These are not things you should touch. If you have to pull money out of your house or your retirement to support a business venture, it is a pretty good sign that venture is a failure. If you can't support it without dipping into retirement or your house then it is time to walk away. At least you can walk away with a home and a retirement.

Also, looking at the causes of bankruptcy, my own experience has shown me lately that the top causes of bankruptcy are: money lost in housing market, medical problems, and disability problems. Now money lost in housing has all kinds of causes. Mostly it's because people got into a house they couldn't afford, or they could afford until their adjustable rate mortgage kicked in and now they just can't make ends meet. Don't ever incur a debt, especially housing debt, thinking "Oh, I'll just refinance it later." That decision makes about as much sense as making Lindsay Lohan your designated Driver. You are running a tremendous risk on something that is just not dependable.

Medical insurance. Everyone should have it, even if Barrack Obama doesn't force you to buy it. One illness can wipe out a lifetime of savings. Too many people think that nothing bad will ever happen to them and it's just silly. People get sick every day. The ambulance ride alone is more than many people make in a month. Do yourself a favor and get whatever medical insurance you can manage. Even if it is just catastrophic coverage, it beats nothing.

Disability Insurance. Generally, it costs a few bucks a month. It can save your financial life. If you are in an accident and can't work, how are you going to survive? If you are too banged up to work then you are probably too banged up to sell crack on the street corner, so don't even think about that one. I've seen a lot of people who had an accident and their disability coverage wasn't enough to keep them afloat. Make sure you have enough that you and your family will be taken care of if you are injured and cannot work. Most companies offer short term and long term disability and they are extremely cheap and worth every penny of the peace of mind that they can bring.

All right peeps, welcome back to everyone who was in Europe or South America. Congrats to all the recently married, especially those who had their receptions at italian restaurants with excellent food (seriously Sarah, that place was great). Also, congratulations to those who are recently engaged, y'all know who you are. catch you later in the week when I have something interesting to write.

5 comments:

smithfieldman said...

You should look up an inspirational Iron Man video to help prepare for your triathlon.

I would watch one all the time during track and cross country.

Swimming laps does suck.

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm....inspirational...I think what I really need is something "sims"pirational.

slipperyjim said...

wow..you have become a serious runner... Impressive... Girls will like you soon.

Your financial advice is sound and sounds authoritative.

I tried swimming before. I sink - I had to use a floaty-thing between my knees... Sucks..

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

Your running impresses me. I don't know why you dare run in 100+ heat. I go before 5 just to avoid it.

About the financial info, are you planning to do bankruptcy law?

Sarah said...

Thanks Brad. It was super easy to plan! The food is fantastic! I love food though so why would I choose anywhere else? Speaking of food you had better start eating more for a triathlon. You are so skinny as it is! Oh and for the record, I can't swim. I sink. So good luck with the swimming thing! I'll pray for you! ;)