Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Dream is Dead

I've been thinking bout this for the past couple of days, and I've been resisting the urge to blog about it. See, the thing is, something happened and it absolutely pissed me off. I mean it totally ruined my day, my month, and quite possibly my year. I thought maybe it wasn't as bad as I felt it was at the time. I thought maybe I would get over it, but it is now clear to me that it just hurts more as time goes on. It seems like this has sucked all the joy out of my life and there are times during the day when I get so mad and/or depressed about it I just don't know if I can go on.

I'm talking of course about the Dolphins win over Baltimore on Sunday. That win brings to an end my dream of seeing the Dolphins running the table in reverse and being the first team to lose every game in a season. It was my hope and dream to see a team do it, and I thought, I really thought that the Dolphins had it in them. I let myself believe it. I was wrong to let myself hope, I was wrong to ever have a dream.

It hurts even more knowing that they were so close. Baltimore gave the Patriots one of their hardest wins of the season and looked like they could compete when they wanted to. Sure, they hadn't won in 7 games and their team is mostly washed up, but still, they should have been able to put away the fins, especially with a ten point lead at half time. Then, the Dolphins just had to keep doing what they had been doing, and kept believing in themselves, and they could have easily lost to New England and Cincinnati. That's what hurts the most, they were so close. It's like they had it in their grasp and let it slip a way. How could you do this to me guys? How could you do this? In a season where we've found out most of our sports heroes were frauds, where it turns out that Barry Bonds skull did not just change shape magically for no reason, and where we find out that pitchers can't continue to throw 90 mph fastballs into their mid forties without extralegal help. In a season where it turns out that the NFL's most overrated quarterback goes to jail for a crime unrelated to murder or drugs, and a B-grade player can't even throw money around in a strip club without causing a shooting, the NFL needed to give us something to believe in, and we've just been robbed. Part of me knows we will never be this close again. There will never again be a team this dreadful. This is as close as we were ever going to get and the Dolphins blew it.

Let me ask you something, Miami Dolphins, what gives you the right? What gives you the right to get me to believe you can't succeed, and then you go out there and actually try? Where do you get off actually trying to do what you are paid to and win a football game. And let me ask the Ravens something; 4th and goal on the one yard line? And you kick the field goal?!?!!? What are you thinking? Brian Billick, what went through your mind? "Sure, we're a yard away, and the quarterback sneak has never actually failed in this situation, but I like our chances of somehow winning a coin toss, taking the ball down the field, and then kicking the ball from much further down the field in overtime. I like those chances much more." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

The moral of this story children is don't dream. Don't ever believe that great things can happen, cause they won't. Don't ever believe in destiny, because Brian Billick will take a crap on it. And don't ever let your inner child get excited about anything, because the Miami dolphins will try to touch it in inappropriate places. Wishes don't come true, and dreams really are like rainbows; only idiots chase them.

1 comment:

slipperyjim said...

very lovely blog - really, I liked it. The other part of the story I really love - in a mean way - is that John Beck has had the wonderful experience of being part of the fins - once again showing that BYU players are usually just products of a system.